Passport Application & Passport Renewal | USPS (2024)

Passport Application & Passport Renewal | USPS (1)

Thousands of Post Offices accept first-time passport applications for the U.S. Department of State. Most of those locations can also take your passport photo.

  • Renewing Passports: If you answer 'Yes' to all 5 eligibility questions in the "Renew a Passport by Mail" section, mail your renewal form directly to the State Department. If you don't meet all the renewal requirements, you'll need to go to a Post Office in person and do a new, first-time passport application.
  • First-Time Passports (and Passport Photos): Schedule your in-person appointment online.

Schedule an Appointment

Passport Application & Passport Renewal | USPS (2)

Alert: Please use our online scheduler, a Post Office lobby self-service kiosk, or visit a Post Office retail counter to make an appointment for first-time passport and photo services. Alternatively, find a location near you with passport walk-in acceptance hours.

First-Time Passports

First-time applicants and people who aren’t allowed to get a new passport by mail.

Apply at a Post Office

Expedited Delivery

Renewing Passports

Most people renewing a passport should mail their application directly to the State Department.

Renew by Mail

Expedited Delivery

Passports for Minors

Passports for children under 16 have special requirements. Make sure you are prepared.

Learn More

Apply for a First-Time Passport

If you've never had a U.S. passport, are 16 or under, or aren't allowed to renew an existing passport by mail, you need to apply for a new passport in person at the Post Office.

Expand All

Step 1: Gather Documents Early

Generally, you should apply for your new passport as soon as you know you’ll be traveling internationally—at least several months in advance. Passport processing times may vary, so be sure to check the latest State Department service estimates. First-time applicants, minors, and applicants who need a new passport but may not renew by mail may submit their passport application at the Post Office. The U.S. State Department website explains what you'll need to bring with you.

  • Application forms (unsigned)
  • Proof of identity document and a photocopy of the front and back
  • Proof of U.S. Citizenship document and a photocopy of the front and back
  • Passport fees

Apply for a Passport in Person

Step 2: Prepare Your Application Package

Visit the U.S. Department of State website to learn how to apply for a passport and what documents you need.

  1. Complete your Form DS-11 Application for U.S. Passport on the State Department website.
  2. Print your completed application.
    DO NOT SIGN YOUR APPLICATION. A Postal employee must witness your signature.
  3. Have a passport photo taken.
  4. Photocopy your proof of identity and U.S. Citizenship documents.
  5. Calculate your fees.
    • Post Offices accept credit cards, checks, and money orders for Post Office acceptance fees.
    • State Department fees are mailed with your application. You can pay with a personal, certified, cashier's, traveler's check, or money order, payable to "U.S. Department of State."

Get Started on Your Application

Step 3: Schedule an Appointment

Post Offices that offer passport services have set hours, and you'll need to schedule an appointment using the online Retail Customer Appointment Scheduler or a Post Office lobby self-service kiosk.

Scheduling Online

  1. Go to Schedule an Appointment.
  2. Choose the passport service you need, along with the number of adults and minors who need appointments.
  3. You can search for appointment by location or date first. If you search by location first, you'll then be asked to choose a date and time; if you search by date first, you'll then need to choose a location and time.
  4. After you choose your appointment location and time, provide your contact information, and agree to the Terms and Conditions.
  5. Click Review Appointment, then confirm your appointment.

If you need to modify or cancel your appointment, click the Manage Appointments tab and enter your confirmation number and email address or phone number.

Using a Self-Service Kiosk

  1. Go to a Post Office location with lobby self-service kiosks. Find USPS Locations
  2. At the self-service kiosk, touch the screen to begin, then select "Other Services," then "Passport Scheduler."
  3. Choose the passport service you need, then enter the number of adults and minors who need appointments.
  4. Search for Post Office locations by ZIP Code™ or City/State and choose a location.
  5. Select an available appointment date and time, then agree to the Terms and Conditions.
  6. Enter your contact information and decide if you'd like to receive SMS text notifications.
  7. Review and confirm your information, then select “Schedule Appointment” to finalize.
  8. Take your printed receipt listing your confirmation number and appointment details.

First-time passport applications have two types of basic fees, the application acceptance fee and the application processing fee. Passport photos and fees for faster processing are extra. Learn how to calculate fees and what you can use to pay for them.

Application Acceptance Fees – Postal Service

Pay acceptance fees in person at the Post Office. You may pay by check or money order, payable to "Postmaster," debit card, or credit card.

  • $35.00 - Post Office acceptance fee
  • $15.00 - Post Office photo fee (if needed)

Application Processing Fees – Department of State

State Department payment is sent with your application package. State Department fees are paid separately from USPS fees.

  • State Department Fees
    State Department passport fees vary. Calculate passport fees online.
  • State Department Payment Methods
    NOTE: You may not pay State Department fees with credit or debit cards. You may pay with:
    • Personal, certified, cashier's, or traveler's check, payable to "U.S. Department of State."
    • Money order payable to "U.S. Department of State." You can buy a money order at the Post Office with cash, a debit card, or a traveler's check. You cannot pay with a credit card.

Application Status Updates

Use the Online Passport Status System to check your application status if you applied by mail or in person. You may not be able to get a status update for 2 weeks after you apply or renew. During these weeks, your application and supporting documents are on their way to the Department of State. See more information about current processing times on the Department of State page "U.S. Passports."

Renew a Passport by Mail

If you are eligible to renew your passport, please complete Passport Renewal Application Form DS-82 (see completion instructions on the form), and mail your completed renewal application directly to the State Department for processing. To verify if your passport is eligible for renewal by mail, please visit State Department Renew By Mail.

Expand All

Step 1: Check Your Eligibility to Renew by Mail

A minor's passport may not be renewed by mail; to renew a minor's passport, you need to submit a new, first-time passport application in person. An adult passport may be renewed by mail if it meets certain requirements.

You can renew your adult passport by mail if you answer "Yes" to all 5 of the following statements:

Your passport:

  1. Is in your possession to submit with your application.
  2. Is undamaged other than normal "wear and tear."
  3. Was issued when you were age 16 or older.
  4. Was issued within the last 15 years.
  5. Was issued in your current name or you can document your name change. (Name changes are explained on Change a Passport.)

If your passport does not meet all these requirements, do not mail your renewal application. You must prepare the same application package as a first-time passport applicant.

State Department Renew by Mail

Step 2: Prepare Your Application Package

Apply early for renewals as many countries require that passports be valid for at least 6 months after you enter their country. Learn how to properly prepare your application package and include all the necessary documents so your passport is processed on time.

  1. Complete your Passport Renewal Application Form DS-82 on the State Department website.
  2. Print and sign your DS-82 form.
  3. Have a passport photo taken. You can schedule a passport photo-only appointment at a Post Office location.
  4. Calculate your passport renewal fees.
  5. Collect your most recent passport, completed and signed application, renewal fees, and name change documents, if needed.
  6. Choose your envelope.
    • Use an envelope large enough to fit the application without folding it.
    • TIP: Pay for Priority Mail Express® or Priority Mail® service and get free envelopes that are large enough to hold your application. Order easily online: Priority Mail Express Flat Rate Envelope or Priority Mail Flat Rate Envelope.
  7. Address the envelope to the location for your state. See page 2 of your DS-82 form.

How to Renew a Passport - Details

Step 3: Mail Your Renewal Application

Department of State recommends using a USPS delivery tracking service to mail your renewal application.

Choose one of the following services:

  • USPS Priority Mail® Service with Delivery Confirmation
  • USPS Priority Mail® Service with Signature Confirmation
  • USPS Priority Mail Express® Service (for overnight delivery requests)

Compare Delivery Tracking Services

Step 4: Follow Your Application Progress

If you use a USPS delivery tracking service, go to USPS Tracking® to see when your package is delivered.

  • With a USPS tracking service, you can see when your application arrived using the tracking number on your receipt.
  • Use the Online Passport Status System to check your application status if you applied by mail or in person. You may not be able to get a status update for 2 weeks after you apply or renew. During these weeks, your application and supporting documents are on their way to the Department of State. See more information about current processing times on the Department of State page "U.S. Passports."

USPS Tracking Status

Expedited Passport Delivery

Expand All

If you need your passport faster for emergency travel or another special case, you can send your passport application via Priority Mail Express® service and pay the State Department fee for faster delivery.

Life-or-Death Emergency

If you need to travel within 72 hours (3 business days) for an immediate family member who is dead, dying, or has a life-threatening illness or injury:

  • Visit the Life-or-Death Emergencies page on to learn if you are eligible.
  • The State Department processes these requests by appointment only.
  • Your appointment date must be within 72 hours (3 business days) of travel.

Urgent Travel in Less than 10 Weeks

If you are traveling in less than 10 weeks, you must call the State Department Passport Agency to schedule an appointment:

  • You can call 1-877-487-2778 (1-888-874-7793 TDD/TTY) to schedule an appointment.
  • Your appointment date must be within 72 hours (3 business days) of travel, and you must provide proof of travel.

Note: An extremely limited number of appointments are available for customers who are traveling internationally in the next 72 hours (3 business days), and other restrictions apply.

Get My Passport Fast

Renew Your Passport Fast

If you pay an additional $60 for expedited service and mail it with Priority Mail Express, you can get your renewed passport within 10 weeks.

  • Check your eligibility under Renew Your Passport by Mail, Step 1: Check Your Eligibility to Renew by Mail.
  • Prepare your application as listed under Renew a Passport by Mail, Step 2: Prepare Your Application Package.
  • Add these special fees, both payable to the U.S. Department of State, to your regular processing fees.
    • $60.00—Expedited application processing at the State Department
    • $18.32—1- to 2-day delivery service for faster return shipping to you from the State Department
    • Clearly mark "EXPEDITE" on the outside of the envelope.
  • Ship your application to the State Department by Priority Mail Express. Cost varies by location.

Get My Passport Fast

Passports for Minors Under 16

Passport applications for children under 16 have special requirements.

  • Both parents/guardians must authorize the issuance of a child's passport. The best way to give consent is for both parents/guardians to go with the child when applying.
  • Children need evidence of citizenship.
  • Parents/guardians need proof of parental relationship.
  • NOTE: Children's passports are only valid for 5 years. They are not "renewable": When a child's passport expires, you must apply for a new passport for them. When making a passport appointment for a child, please choose "New Passport Only" or "New Passport with Photo Services."

Apply for a Minor's Passport

State Department Travel Resources

U.S. State Department Website

Lost or Stolen Passports

If your passport has been lost or stolen, you should report it immediately to the U.S. Department of State.

Report Your Lost/Stolen Passport

'); console.log(k);});$(".vdrawers .expandv").on('touch click',function(e){e.preventDefault();if ($(this).parents('.vdrawers').hasClass('active')){$(this).text('Expand All');$(this).parents('.vdrawers').removeClass('active');$(this).parents('.vdrawers').find('.v-tab div').removeClass('active');console.log('expand active - removing active');} else {$(this).text('Hide All');$(this).parents('.vdrawers').find('.v-tab div').addClass('active');$(this).parents('.vdrawers').addClass('active');console.log("expand not active - adding active");}return false;});$('.vdrawers .v-tab div a').not('sup').on('click touch', function(e){console.log('Clicked on v-tab link');if($(window).width()>=767){console.log('desktop:start');$this = $(this).parents('.vdrawers');$this.find('.v-tab').removeClass('active');$this.find('.v-tab-content').removeClass('active');$(this).parent().addClass('active');$this.find('.v-tab-content div').eq($this.find('.v-tab').index()).addClass('active');console.log('desktop:'+$this.html());console.log('desktop:end');$('html, body').animate({scrollTop: $(this).parents('.vdrawers').find('.v-tab-content div').eq($('.v-tab').index()).offset().top}, 500);} else if ($(window).width()<767) {if ($(this).parent().hasClass('active')){$(this).parent().removeClass('active');$('html, body').animate({scrollTop: $(this).parent().offset().top}, 500);} else {$(this).parents('.vdrawers').find('.v-tab').removeClass('active');$(this).parent().addClass('active');$('html, body').animate({scrollTop: $(this).parent().offset().top}, 500);}}return false});$('.lg-crd h3').not('sup').on('click touch', function(e){console.log('Clicked on faq');e.preventDefault();$(this).parent().parent().toggleClass('active');return false});$('span.expand').on('click touch', function(e){$this = $(this);$this.toggleClass('active');if ($this.hasClass('active')){$this.text('Hide All');$this.parents('.faq-section, .lg-txt-crd,.visible-expand').find('.lg-crd, .faq-unit,.expand-unit').addClass('active');}else{$this.text('Expand All');$this.parents('.faq-section, .lg-txt-crd,.visible-expand').find('.lg-crd, .faq-unit,.expand-unit').removeClass('active');}return false;});//$('').append('...less');/*$('.expand-less, .expand-more').on('click touch', function(e){e.preventDefault();$(this).parents('.expand-unit').toggleClass('active');});*/$('.faq-unit>*:first-child,.expand-unit>*:first-child').not('sup').on('click touch', function(e){console.log('Clicked on faq');e.preventDefault();$(this).parent().toggleClass('active');});$('.expand-all').on('click touch', function(e){e.preventDefault();console.log('Expand all function')$this = $(this);$this.toggleClass('active');if ($this.hasClass('active')){$this.text('Hide All');$this.parents('.visible-expand').find('.expand-unit').addClass('active');}else{$this.text('Expand All');$this.parents('.visible-expand').find('.expand-unit').removeClass('active');}});$.each( $('.expand-unit > p:first-of-type'), function(i){g = $(this).parent('.expand-unit').find('h3').text();console.log(g) $(this).append(' Show More '+g+''); });$('.expand-unit').append('

');$('.expand-less, .expand-more').on('click touch', function(e){$(this).parents('.expand-unit').toggleClass('active');$('html, body').animate({scrollTop: $(this).parents('.expand-unit').offset().top}, 500);});$('.openRenew1').on('click touch', function(e){$('#mail-renew-step-1.expand-unit').addClass('active');});if (window.location.hash == '#renew'){$('#mail-renew-step-1.expand-unit').addClass('active');}});

Passport Application & Passport Renewal | USPS (2024)


What are the most common mistakes on a passport application? ›

Besides photo issues, the company's review found seven other mistakes commonly made by passport applicants: Information on the application is different from the previous passport. Full name or date of birth is different, or applicant leaves out a middle name or changes the middle name to an initial.

How do I get help with passport application questions? ›

I need some help with the information requested on the passport application form. Please call the National Passport Information Center, toll-free, at 1-877-487-2778 or 1-888-874-7793 (TDD/TTY). General passport help is also available at

What if I made a mistake on my US passport application? ›

If there's an error, a new passport application is required. Specific criteria allow the use of the no-fee passport amendment form, DS-5504. This form is for: Changes in identifying information due to events like marriage or divorce.

Can I leave my occupation blank on my passport application? ›

Do not leave anything blank. If you're applying for the first time or with your child under age 16, wait to sign the form until you are instructed to do so.

What will cause a passport to be denied? ›

Denying a Passport

Some reasons to deny a passport include: A valid, unsealed federal warrant of arrest. A federal or state criminal court order. A condition of parole or probation forbidding departure from the United States (or the jurisdiction of the court)

What is the question 10 on the passport? ›

#10 –*** Names of parents of applicant – first & middle and then last name (mother's name must be her maiden name), date of birth of parents and place of birth. Also indicate male/female and whether or not they are citizens of the U.S. This information is required even if the parents are deceased.

How long are passports taking? ›

According to the Home Office, holidaymakers should allow three weeks to receive their new passports. However, be aware that it could take longer than this timeframe, especially if more information or an interview is required. The Passport Office will inform you of any delays within three weeks.

What is the quickest I can get a passport? ›

Current Processing Times (applied on or after December 18, 2023)
Routine6 to 8 weeks
Expedited2 to 3 weeks
UrgentMust make an appointment and have international travel within 14 calendar days

How do I correct wrong information on my passport application? ›

Minor/typographical errors in fields such as parents' names, place of birth and old passport number may be corrected during the processing stage. However, any error in the applicant's name and date of birth fields in the application form cannot be corrected during the passport appointment.

Can you use white out on a passport renewal application? ›

Corrections made with white-out, crossing out the incorrect information, writing the correction on top of the error, etc., are not acceptable.

Can I handwrite a passport application form? ›

Print your form single-sided on 8.5 inch by 11 inch letter-sized paper. We do not accept double-sided forms. The only handwritten marks we will accept when you use the Form Filler tool are your original signature and date.

What does NFR mean on a passport application? ›

No-Fee Regular - Blue no-fee regular passports are issued to, among others, certain categories of employees of the Department of Defense, American National Red Cross, and Peace Corps volunteers assigned overseas.

What happens if you don't have enough blank pages on your passport? ›

If you run out of pages in your passport, you will need to apply for a new one. This can be done online. It is essential to plan ahead when it comes to UK passport pages. Make sure you have enough pages for all the countries you plan to visit and keep extra pages available for any visa requirements.

Do I need to list my employer on my passport application? ›

If you notice, occupation is a required field on the application. But not employer. Therefore with the later, one does not need to include it. As an antidotal footnote, when I've re-entered the US through passport control, I have been asked from time to time what I do for work.

Should you fill out a passport in all caps? ›

How to Fill Out a Passport Application Form (DS-11)? The DS-11 form should be filled out in advance using either the online form tool or by hand in black ink. Use all capital letters to improve legibility.

What makes passport invalid? ›

invalidate your passport. Major or minor water-damaged passports. Worn or curling edges of pages. Tears to the cover or pages.

Why is getting passport so hard? ›

They're blaming the epic wait times on lingering pandemic -related staffing shortages and a pause of online processing this year. That's left the passport agency flooded with a record-busting 500,000 applications a week. The deluge is on-track to top last year's 22 million passports issued, the State Department says.

What makes a passport strong or weak? ›

A strong passport is determined by the number of countries the passport holder can visit without having to obtain a visa. For example, when looking at which country has the most powerful passport in the world for 2023, Singapore has the most powerful passport, because it has a global mobility score of 193.


Top Articles
Latest Posts
Article information

Author: Velia Krajcik

Last Updated:

Views: 5512

Rating: 4.3 / 5 (54 voted)

Reviews: 85% of readers found this page helpful

Author information

Name: Velia Krajcik

Birthday: 1996-07-27

Address: 520 Balistreri Mount, South Armand, OR 60528

Phone: +466880739437

Job: Future Retail Associate

Hobby: Polo, Scouting, Worldbuilding, Cosplaying, Photography, Rowing, Nordic skating

Introduction: My name is Velia Krajcik, I am a handsome, clean, lucky, gleaming, magnificent, proud, glorious person who loves writing and wants to share my knowledge and understanding with you.